Skip to main content

Council Tax Support for pension age residents

Council Tax Support is a local scheme that helps residents on low incomes pay their Council Tax bill. The Government have protected this group of residents from any changes to CTS schemes and are able to claim up to 100% of their council tax bill.

This is the case if you own the property where you live or if you rent.

Council Tax Support can be claimed in addition to other Council Tax discounts or exemptions such as single persons discount.

More about Council Tax Support...

The amount you can claim will depend on your household income, savings, entitlement for certain benefits and who lives with you.

If you are eligible for CTS, the amount of support you are entitled to is used to reduce your overall Council Tax bill.

We will send you a new bill with the reduced amount you need to pay.

For full details about our scheme please read our Local Council Tax support scheme policy document.

How we calculate your discount

You may be eligible to claim if you:

  • Have reached pension age
  • Your partner has reached pension age if you have one
  • Have no more than £16,000 in savings (Unless you are in receipt of Pension credit guarantee)

You are still eligible to claim if you have between £10,000 and £16,000 in savings, but it will affects how much Council Tax Reduction Scheme you will get. For every £500 (or part of £500) you have over £10,000 we add £1.00 to the money we count each week when working out your Council Tax Reduction Scheme

You will also need information about your household income, outgoings, savings, benefits, and Council Tax bill to calculate an estimate.

You will also need this information to complete the CTS application form.

Second adult rebate

Second Adult Rebate is also known as an alternative Council Tax reduction. It is a rebate on your Council Tax bill if you have reached pension age and live with another adult who is on a low income or claims certain benefits. This other person cannot be your partner, spouse or lodger.

You cannot claim Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate at the same time. If you happen to qualify for both we will offer you the discount that has the biggest reduction in your Council Tax bill.

More information can be found by visiting our Second Adult Rebate page.

How to apply

To apply you will need to complete our Council Tax Support application form.

The form will ask you details about everyone living in your household so we advise you gather the following information before starting the form.

  • Personal details for all members of your household e.g. National insurance numbers, dates of birth.
  • Financial information about any income, benefits, disability benefits and savings for each member of your household.

Any supporting evidence can be uploaded inside your application form.
You can save your form and return to it later if you need to.
When you save your application we will email you a reference number and password to access your saved form.
This saved version of your form will be available for 30 days.
Please note your form will need to be complete and submitted before we can process your application. The date you submit your form is the date we receive it.

Apply for Council Tax Support


Benefit Contact Details

01527 534050

We have introduced a call back facility for when we are experiencing a high volume of calls.

This will mean that instead of waiting in a queue to speak to someone after a period of waiting you will be able to leave your name and number and we will get back to you by the end of the next working day.

Benefits Opening hours

Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm

Friday 10am to 5pm

Bank Holidays Closed

Feedback & Share