Skip to main content

Immigration Property inspection

If someone applies to the UK Border agency for clearance to enter the UK, they may be asked to obtain an independent assessment of the property where they intend to reside as part of the immigration process.

Immigration inspections are required to ensure that when people come to the UK their accommodation conforms to acceptable standards of quality, and will not be overcrowded.

Broadly speaking the accommodation must be to the minimum housing standard under the Housing Act 2004 AND will not become ‘overcrowded’ as defined within the the Housing Act 1985.

A property inspection carried out by the council confirms the property meets the following required standards:

  • Is safe, in a good state of repair, and not a risk to a persons health and safety
  • Has suitable kitchen and bathroom facilities
  • Owned or occupied only by the sponsor or the sponsors family
  • Has a current gas safety certificate (if rented the landlord is required to provide a copy every 12 months).
  • Has enough rooms of suitable sizes and space to accommodate the requirements of both the sponsor(s) and existing occupiers.

Before you start

You will need the following information to apply for an inspection:

  • Your details (sponsor)
  • Details of the person(s) applying for entrance, including name, age and relationship to sponsor. 
  • Full address of the property where they intend to reside (if rented, landlord details and a copy of the current gas safety certificate.)
  • Card payment details

Apply for an inspection

A sponsor can apply for an inspection on behalf of the person applying for entrance into the UK.  

To begin the process contact our Private Sector Housing team at or call 01527 534123

The charge for an immigration property inspection is £165.00. This payment needs to be made before an inspection can take place.

Payment for an inspection can be made here

Once an inspection is completed, the confirmation letter should be included as part of the application to the UK Border agency.


Feedback & Share