Skip to main content

Single persons discount

You can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill if the following applies to your circumstances

  • You are the only adult living in your home.
  • All other adults who live with you are ignored when calculating Council Tax.

You would be also be eligible to claim a single persons discount if you claim child benefit for a child that is over 18 and in full time education.

Your income and savings do not affect your eligibility for this discount.

Find out more about who may be disregarded from Council Tax in our discounts and exemptions section.

How to apply for or cancel a single persons discount?

There's 2 ways to apply for or cancel your single persons status

  1. Use our single persons discount form
  2. Sign into your online Council Tax account and on your account summary page in the quick links section choose "Apply for Single Persons Discount" and complete the form.

What happens next?

When we have applied this discount to your account we will send you a new e-bill to your online Council Tax account showing the discount has been applied.

If you have not yet signed up for e-billing we will send you a new revised bill in the post.

Please continue to pay your bill until you have been officially notified by us that we have applied the discount.

If you are having problems paying please tell us.

Feedback & Share