Skip to main content

Residents in prison or on remand

Residents in prison, on remand, or detained are disregarded for the purposes of Council Tax.

We may be able to reduce you Council Tax bill if a member of your household is in prison for a conviction other than non payment of Council Tax.

This discount will not apply to residents charged of or convicted for non-payment of Council Tax or fines.

If a property is left unoccupied because the resident is detained or in prison and intends to return an exemption may be applied where no Council Tax needs to be paid. 

How to apply.

Your online Council Tax account.

If you have an account with us you can apply for this exemption by selecting "Apply for or cancel an exemption" in the Quick Links section of your account summary page and choose grounds for the exemption as "in prison (Class D)".


Download and complete our detention discount application form.

You can send the form back to us by either email or post using the contact details on the form.

What happens next?

Once we receive your completed application we will process the exemption or discount and send you a revised e-bill to your online Council Tax account. If you have not yet signed up for e-billing we will send you a new bill in the post.

Please continue to pay the current amount on your bill until your account has been adjusted and we have sent you an official notification a discount has been applied to your account.

Feedback & Share