Skip to main content

EV Chargers for council dwellings

If you are a council tenant, and are considering installing an EV Charger to your home, we advise you NOT to start work on an installation without getting permission from us as your social landlord. To enquire about permission, you must contact us in writing.

The following are compulsory requirements which must be in place before any permission request can be considered:

  • The work causes no disruption to other residents.
  • The improvements result in no additional maintenance or repair cost for the council.
  • You must have provision for the vehicle being charged to be parked off the public highway (i.e. driveway) with official dropped kerb.
  • No other residents will be inconvenienced by e.g. trailing wires, needing to charge route etc.

Regrettably at this time, the application will be refused if the above stipulations cannot be met. Councils are currently reviewing infrastructure policy for public chargers.

How to apply

To apply for permission please fill in and return this form. Do not start any works until you have formal permission in writing; a copy of which will be attached to your property file.

Failure to get permission before carrying out alteration work could result in removal of the equipment and legal action being taken to recover costs.

We will not unreasonably refuse to give permission and if we refuse permission, we will tell you our reasons.

We have the right to insist that the work is done in a specified way and to inspect it at certain stages.

Any electrical work must be carried out by an electrician registered with a competency scheme and fully qualified to fit EV charger points via City and Guilds e.g. NIC, NAPIT. Help can be found on this link.

You will be responsible for the ongoing maintenance of any alteration or improvement.

You may also have to obtain Planning Permission or Building Regulations approval before you start work.

Feedback & Share