Skip to content

Right to buy

Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount. Use the eligibility checker on the Right to Buy website to find out if you can apply.

Joint applications

You can make a joint application with:

  1. Someone who shares your tenancy
  2. Up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months (even if they don’t share your tenancy - we will need proof of residency).

Ex-council homes

If your home used to be owned by the council, but it was sold to another landlord (like a housing association) while you were living in it, you may still have the Right to Buy. This is called ‘Preserved Right to Buy’. Ask your landlord if this applies to you.

Apply to buy

Here's the full information on how to apply from GOV.UK

You can apply to buy your council home if:

  1. It’s your only or main home
  2. It’s self-contained
  3. You’re a secure tenant (here are all the types of tenancy from GOV.UK)
  4. You’ve had a public sector landlord (for example, a council, housing association or NHS trust) for 3 years - it doesn’t have to be 3 years in a row.