Skip to content

Advice for landlords

Most private sector landlords won’t see any change with the introduction of Universal Credit.

This is because most working age claimants in the private rented sector are already used to receiving their Housing Benefit payments directly from us and are responsible for paying their own rent.

Those private sector Landlords who do currently receive a direct payment from us are urged to familiarise themselves with the changes and look at how they can prepare themselves and help their tenants prepare as well.

If a tenant falls into arrears then it’s important to note that private landlords no longer need explicit consent from their tenant to apply for rental payments to be made directly to them.

The Department for Work and Pensions should start making payments direct to landlords if:

  • A claimant is in arrears with their rent for an amount equal to, or more than, two months of their rent.
  • A claimant has continually underpaid their rent over a period of time, and they have accrued arrears of an amount equal to or more than one month’s rent.

If a direct payment is not set-up by the Department for Work and Pensions  then landlords can request one by completing the form on the Government’s official website.