What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new working age benefit introduced by the Government to help with your living costs.

Universal Credit replaces six existing benefits:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support

It is available to those who are of working age on low income, not working due to illness, disability or have caring commitments.

If the above does not apply to you, you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit.

As of February 1 2019, the number of children you have does not affect your eligibility for Universal Credit, but it may affect how much you get.

Severe disability premium

Please note from the 16 January 2019, if you are eligible or in receipt of severe disability premium you can no longer claim Universal Credit, therefore you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit