Skip to content

How we Calculate Housing Benefit

Coronavirus update: extra help with Housing Benefit has been introduced for working age households.

Here's what we take into account when we calculate your Housing Benefit entitlement.

  • The maximum benefit you are allowed under the Local Housing Allowance or, in some circumstances the Rent Service
  • Income. Money you have coming in from earnings, pensions, benefits, maintenance
  • Capital. Your cash, savings, investments, property other than your home
  • Personal circumstances. Including your age, children, disabilities
  • Non dependants that live with you. Including their incomes and capital. See below for additional information.

If you are receiving Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance income-based you will usually be entitled to receive maximum Housing Benefit. This may be reduced if non dependants live with you and if you don’t provide the required evidence about their income and capital, we must deduct the maximum amount for non dependants from your benefit.

If you are not in receipt of Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance income-based your income will be assessed against a Government-set "Applicable Amount" based on your circumstances. The higher your net income is above your Applicable Amount, the less Housing Benefit you will be entitled to.

More information on non dependants

A non dependant is any person aged 18 plus who uses your home as their main residence. Benefit entitlements are affected by their circumstances.

The Government sets a weekly deduction in housing benefit for each non-dependant, based on a number of factors.

As non dependants may affect your benefits you must tell us about everyone that lives with you, if anyone moves in or out of your home, and if anyone’s circumstances change.

No deductions for non-dependants are made if you or your partner are:

  • Blind or treated as blind
  • Getting Attendance Allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance for themselves
  • Getting the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Getting the Armed Forces Independence Payment