Skip to content

Change in circumstances

Warning Sign Tiny Please only report changes and send evidence to us if you already claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

*Please note* We are improving our online claim forms. These improvements will enable you to upload evidence in the form when making new applications and reporting changes in circumstances. The new forms will be available from Tuesday 1st December 2020. If you start a form before this date, please make sure that you SUBMIT your form by 30th November 2020 otherwise it will not be processed and you will need to apply again.

Warning Sign Tiny If your finances have been affected by the Covid 19 pandemic and you need to claim, please complete a new Council Tax Support application form.

If you claim benefits and your circumstances change you need to tell us as soon as possible.

Telling us about changes as soon as they happen means your claim will be updated and you will receive the correct amount of benefit.
It is important you tell us about any changes as soon as possible, at least within one calendar month of when the change happened. If you do not tell us about any changes the amount of benefit you receive could be too much or not enough.

If you delay in reporting changes to us, you could be paid too much benefit. This is known as an overpayment and you will need to pay back the amount of benefit you were not entitled to. It may also mean you are underpaid what you are entitled to and not get all the help available to you.

  • First tell us about the change using our online form.
  • After submitting the online form above upload any supporting evidence at our evidence upload page.

Warning Sign Tiny Due to the Covid 19 pandemic you cannot provide supporting evidence in person at the Town Hall. In this unprecedented time we will accept photographs as proof of any supporting evidence for your change.

Photographs of evidence can be taken using a smartphone. Take a clear photograph of your evidence and upload the photo at our evidence upload page

If you have access to a scanner, you can scan the evidence and upload your scanned documents to our evidence upload page

You need to tell us if any of the following changes happen.

If you or your partner are getting Pension Credit please see the next section for more information.

  • You start to get any other type of state benefit
  • You stop getting any other type of state benefit
  • If your wages go up or down
  • If your capital, any savings and/or investments go up or down.
  • Any of your children leave school and move onto higher education or apprenticeships.
  • Moving home (this includes if you move to another flat or room at the same address)
  • Birth of a child
  • You or a member of your family go into hospital
  • Going into a rest home
  • Other people, including a partner coming to live with you.

If you or your partner are getting Pension Credit you must tell the Pension Service of any changes and they will tell you how the change will affect you. For more information see the Pension Credit change in circumstances section of GOV.UK.

If the change is something which was not included in your Pension Credit calculation, you must tell us so we can update your claim for Housing Benefit, Second Adult Rebate or Council Tax Support.

You will need to tell us about the following changes if they happen:

  • If there are changes in your tenancy
  • If you move home
  • Non-dependants and who are living with you
  • Dependant children
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Capital, savings and or investments of more than £16,000 if you are getting Savings Credit only
  • Income and capital of partner which has not been included in the Pension Credit claim
  • Going into hospital
  • Going into a rest home
  • Absence from home of more than 13 weeks

If your circumstances change and you do not tell us we may pay you more Housing Benefit, Second Adult Rebate or Council Tax Support than you are entitled to. This is called an overpayment and you will usually have to pay the money back.

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit, Second Adult Rebate or Council Tax Support, we will write and tell you:

  • that there is an overpayment and the reason
  • the amount of the overpayment
  • how we worked out the overpayment
  • Who the overpayment is recoverable from and at what rate

If you are still receiving Housing Benefit we will make a deduction from your ongoing weekly payments and this will be explained in your overpayment letter.

If you claim Second Adult Rebate or Council Tax Support the amount you were overpaid will be added to the amount of Council Tax you pay and we will send you a new bill.

Find out more about overpayments by visiting our overpayments section

Claiming benefits that you are not entitled to is illegal. It's important that you make sure we're aware of any changes in your circumstances that could affect your claim listed in the section above.

It is the responsibility of the person claiming benefits to tell us about any changes and provide the evidence for the change.