Skip to content

Appeal a benefit decision

If you disagree with a decision we have made you canĀ appeal in writing, explaining your reasons, within one calendar month of the date on your decision notice.

The affected person must make the appeal. This will be the claimant, the landlord, or a person formally acting on their behalf.

If you want to know how we reached our decision, you can write to us to ask for a detailed explanation, which is called a Statement of Reasons , at any time. If you do this as part of the appeal process, then the one month appeal timescale will stop and restart from the date we issue the Statement of Reasons.

You cannot appeal:

  1. Suspension of benefit
  2. Payments on account (where we are waiting for a Rent Officer's valuation)
  3. The Rent Officer's valuation
  4. Applicable amounts
  5. Local scheme disregards, i.e. the decision to disregard, in full, a War Widows Pension
  6. Discretionary Housing Payments.