Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate

Warning Sign Tiny Coronavirus update: extra help with Council Tax Support has been introduced for working age households. For all the Coronavirus updates from our benefits services, press here. 

To make an application for Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate you will need to fill in a form and provide evidence to prove your circumstances.

We can't pay any money until you have done this, so the quicker you send us your evidence the sooner you will get your payments.

All evidence can be sent by email and photographs of your evidence will be accepted as proof.

We will write to you and tell you whether you qualify, how much support you will receive, and the date your support will start from.

You cannot claim Council Tax Support if you have capital over £16,000, unless you or your partner are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit.

Second Adult Rebate is available if you share your home with someone who is over 18, on a low income, is not a partner or a paying lodger and is not already exempt from Council Tax (see below). It is based wholly on the income and other circumstances of the second adult or more if there is more than one extra adult. In this case, your income and other circumstances (such as capital) are not relevant.