Skip to content

Taxis and Private Hire

Taxis (hackney carriage) and private hire vehicles, drivers, and their booking offices must all be licensed separately. Find the right licences for you below.

Driver Licensing

If you want to drive any kind of taxi including hackney carriages or private hire vehicles you will need a licence from us.

Vehicle Licensing

Licensing a vehicle as a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle

Operator Licensing

Hiring out a vehicle with a driver must be licensed by us.

Licensing Fees

The fees for licence applications, registrations and permits are contained in the licensing fees summary, available here:

Coronavirus/Covid 19 Updates

Crossgates Depot MOT and Taxi Testing

Changes have been made to the operation of MOT and Taxi/Private Hire Testing at Crossgates Depot in light of the ongoing disruption caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Taxi and public MOT tests - safety check

Before you attend a taxi inspection or MOT test appointment, please read our safety check guide:

Taxi and public MOT safety check