Pre-Application Advice

The scale and type of development where a pre-application advice fee applies is set out below. There is no charge for advertisement schemes or discussions relating to the variation or removal of planning conditions. You can get free advice on domestic extensions at our householder planning service held at Parkside, Market Street, Bromsgrove on Tuesdays between 10.00am until 1.00pm.

Pre-application advice fees

Here are the fees for advice from our planning experts on your proposed development before you apply for planning permission. The fees are inclusive of VAT. The Council will only issue a VAT invoice if requested.

Residential Development/Development Site Area/Proposed Gross Area

Number of dwellings created


1 dwelling (includes one-for-one replacements)


2-4 dwellings


5-9 dwellings


10-49 dwellings


50-99 dwellings


100-199 dwellings


200+ dwellings


Non-Residential Development (Floor Space)

Floor Space (measured externally


Less than 500 square metres


500 square metres - 999 square metres


1000 square metres - 1999 square metres


2000 square metres - 4999 square metres


5000 square metres - 9999 square metres


10000 square metres or greater


Non-Residential Development (site area) where no building operations are proposed

Site Area


Less than 0.5 hectares


0.6 hectares - 0.99 hectares


1 hectares - 1.25 hectares


1.26 hectares - 2 hectares


Greater than 2 hectares


With respect to changes of use schemes, if the development is a change to create dwellings, the charge will be for the number of dwellings created. If the change is to another use, the charge will be based on the floor area created or the site area involved if there are no building operations proposed.

Fee Concessions

Some pre-application advice is provided free of charge. For example, where the development is for the direct benefit of a disabled person (and as such there would be no fee incurred to make the planning application) or where works relate to a Listed Building.

Some pre-application advice is provided at a reduced or concessionary rate. If the proposal is being submitted by or is for the benefit of a Parish Council or other Local Authority, then the appropriate fee is reduced by 50%. If the scheme relates to a solely affordable housing scheme and the applicant is a Registered Social Landlord or a registered Housing Association, the appropriate fee is reduced by 50%.

Worcestershire County Council Pre-Application Highway Advice

In addition to our charges, Worcestershire County Council Highways have a separate fee charging schedule for pre-application advice. The document setting out the County's pre-application process and associated fees is available here.

Pay for your advice

You will need to complete and return this form and pay the relevant fee:

  1. Via BACS electronic transfer. Use sort code 309697 and account number 00369020 and quote 07516376 as the reference.  It is important that you telephone the planning team on 01527 881770 to confirm the transaction.
  2. With a cheque for the correct amount with the first line of the site address on the reverse and a covering letter to us here, or
  3. For payments up to £1000, over the telephone with us here. If an Officer is not available when you call, please leave a message and we will call you back.

Planning Portal

Here is a wealth of first class advice on a range of small scale projects for homes and businesses from the national planning advice website, The Planning Portal.

Wildlife Assessment Check

The UK Partnership for Biodiversity in Planning has released a free online pre-planning application tool – the Wildlife Assessment Check.  The tool is designed to help householders and smaller developers who are making planning applications, permitted developments or works to Listed Buildings who may be less aware of biodiversity legislation and their responsibility to consider protected and priority species, as well as statutory designated sites that may be impacted by their works.  The tool allows applicants to check whether their proposed site and works are likely to require expert ecological advice before making a planning application. 

You can find out more about the tool here.