Skip to content

Adaptations, alterations, improvements for council tenant or leaseholder

If you are a council tenant you may carry out improvements to your home but you must not start work without getting permission from us in writing.

We will not unreasonably refuse to give permission and if we refuse permission, we will tell you our reasons.

We have the right to insist that the work is done in a certain way and to inspect it at certain stages. Any electrical work must be carried out by a registered electrician.

You will be responsible for the ongoing maintenance of any alteration or improvement.

You may have to obtain Planning Permission or Building Regulations approval before you start work.

Make an application

Complete and return an Alterations and Additions Application Form, and we will write back to you with our answer.