Cost of living support
We know times are hard right now. On this page you will find links to support and advice that is new, that is already available from us, and that is available from a range of other agencies too, to support you with the cost of living.
New: Cost of Living Winter Special. In addition to the below, you can also check out this seasonal advice this winter.
Even if you don’t claim any benefits you may be entitled to support you weren’t aware of, and not just monetary support, but good advice from legitimate sources you can trust.
You can also get more help from the Government's Help for Households campaign website.
Go here for updates on Household Support Fund PHASE 4.
Contact Act on Energy for support with energy bills, heating repairs and more, find out more here.
Contact Worcestershire Advice Network (WAN) if you are a pensioner, carer (any age) or disabled (any age), find out more here.
- For utility bills and energy costs
- Check the special support the Government has made available
- Don’t miss out on benefits you may be entitled to
- If you have children
- For other household costs like food and furniture
- Housing Advice.
- For medical costs
- If you have debt concerns
- Support for people aged 50 plus
- Support for people under aged 25
- Looking for a warm space?
- General Support
For utility bills and energy costs
- Worcestershire Household Support Fund scheme. You may be eligible for help towards your energy bills, energy debt, boiler repairs and more through the scheme being delivered via Act on Energy
- Check if you can get help with your energy bills or to top up your prepayment meter. You may also be eligible for benefits, grants and help offered by the government and energy suppliers.
- If you top up your energy prepayment meter at a shop or Post Office, make sure you have received your government discount vouchers.
- See if you are eligible for the Energy Bills Rebate Discretionary Scheme
- Get real, free advice on managing your utility bills like gas and electricity from the Redditch Energy Advice Service(delivered by Act on Energy)
- Look at social tariff broadband and mobile phone offers
- Check if you can get Severn Trent's support to pay your water bill.
- Check if you are eligible for a TV Licensing Simple Payment Plan.
- Warmer Worcestershire - Information available, includes reliable hints and tips on how to reduce your energy bills.
Check the special support the Government has made available
- Find out more about Cost of Living Payments from the Government. These are extra payments from and by the Government, to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits
Don’t miss out on benefits you may be entitled to
- If you’re of working age, check you’re not missing out on any state benefits
- If you’re of pension age, check if you can get pension credit
- Check if you can get help to pay your Council Tax, through Council Tax Support and Council Tax discounts
- For help with your rent, check if you can get housing benefit and a discretionary housing payment
- If you are sick or disabled, check if you can get any disability or sickness benefits
- If you are a carer, check if you can get Carer’s Allowance
- Browse the other services in the Money, education & skills section of our website, which are regularly updated.
If you have children
- Check if you can get help with childcare costs. free school meals including holiday provision, and much more.
For other household costs like food and furniture
- Cut your food costs with advice from Love Food Hate Waste
- See our Essential Living Fund for emergency help in a financial crisis
- Help with food, furniture, foodbanks and household supplies
If you are behind on your rent or mortgage, think you're going to get behind, you don't have to struggle in silence. Help and support is available.
- Rent or mortgage going up? Speak to money and debt advice services including at Citizens Advice.
For medical costs
- Check if you can get free prescriptions.
If you have debt concerns
- If you rent your home from us and you are struggling to pay your rent, please speak to us early. As your landlord we can help you to prevent a problem from growing into a crisis.
- Here is a range of debt advice and financial support services.
Help for people aged 50 plus
- Age UK Bromsgrove, Redditch and Wyre Forest - Free and confidential advise for people over 50
- Call 01527 570490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information and advice can be found here
- St Basils - Are you aged 16-25 and homeless, at risk or just in need of some housing advice?
- Reddich Knowledge Bank - Explore Redditch and uncover local services nearest to you.
- Community Services Directory - access information, advice, tools, guidance and local support available to them or others in the local community based on their needs.
- Would you like a FREE Home Fire Safety Check from your local Fire and Rescue team? It includes free smoke alarms and more for those who are eligible. Further information and contacts details are available here.
- Support with mental health and wellbeing
- Support if you have a disability
- StreetLink - help end rough sleeping by enabling members of the public to connect people sleeping rough with local services that can support them
- Onside advocacy offers help to people facing disadvantage to ensure they are treated fairly as equal citizens, with equal rights and have access to all the right services.
Looking for a warm space?
Many local organisations that have opened free, warm, welcoming spaces for the public over this winter have registered the details of their offer on the Warm Welcome Network so that anyone can search for local warm spaces in their area. All 21 libraries in the county are registered as a warm space. There is lots going on at libraries which offer free use of computers, free Wi-Fi, free events for all ages and much more. Additional information from Worcestershire County Council can be found here