Skip to content

Housing Benefit

From Wednesday 27th January 2021 customers claiming Severe Disability Premium will no longer be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and will be eligible to claim Universal Credit instead.

Coronavirus update: Extra help with Housing Benefit has been introduced for working age households. This will be recalculated so you do not need to contact us. Your Housing Benefit will be paid as normal. Please only call us with emergencies at this time and use our online services to apply for benefits and report changes in your circumstances. For all our Coronavirus updates, press here.

You could get housing benefit to help pay your rent if you're on a low income, unemployed or claim benefits.

Housing Benefit is being replaced with Universal Credit so you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following applies to your circumstances.

  • You live in supported, temporary or emergency accommodation.
  • You and your partner have both reached state pension age.

If any of the above does not apply to you, you may be eligible to claim Universal Credit.

If you are unsure what benefits you may be entitled to independent benefits calculators are available to estimate what benefits you might be able to claim, the amount and how your entitlement may be effected by household changes like starting work.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit

Any supporting evidence we need to assess your claim can be uploaded inside this form.

If you cannot apply online please contact the benefits team.