Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

If you own a property occupied by people who don’t form a single household and who share access or any other facility, your property is a 'House in Multiple Occupation' (HMO) and it must usually be registered and in some cases licensed.

HMOs are often called house shares. They must usually be:

  1. Licensed if they house five or more occupants, or more than two households, or are three or more storeys.
  2. Registered in all cases
  3. Maintained to a certain standard
  4. Inspected by us

If you don't register or license an HMO with us when required, it may be an offence punishable on conviction by a fine of up to £20,000.

Typical examples of HMOs

  1. A house let as individual bedsits
  2. A group of rooms on each floor let to single occupants
  3. Hostels, some hotels and guesthouses
  4. Lodgings and shared houses
  5. Houses converted into self-contained flats

Register or license an HMO

  1. To register a smaller HMO, contact us here
  2. License a bigger HMO here.

Please note we are a shared service between Bromsgrove District and Redditch Borough councils.

Amenity standards

Here are the standards you are required to comply with as an HMO landlord:

HMO Amenity Standards