Managing your trees, including protected trees

Many trees are protected by law, most commonly by tree preservation orders and in conservation areas. You need written permission from us before you can carry out any work on any protected tree.

If you work on a protected tree without permission we may take a range of enforcement actions including prosecution, with fines of up to £20,000.

You can apply to do work on a tree on land that you do not own, but work cannot be carried out without the landowner’s consent.

You will have to pay for all works yourself.

The facts

Here are all the facts on Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas from GOV.UK.

Finding a tree surgeon or other arboricultural contractor

We can't make any endorsements but here is a useful list of local tree contractors and consultants from The Arboricultural Association.

High hedge complaints

If a high hedge is affecting your ability to enjoy your property and you cannot come to an amicable solution with the hedge owner, we may be able to help as a last resort.

We cannot mediate or negotiate for you. Our role in high hedge disputes is simply to look at whether the hedge is adversely affecting enjoyment of your property.

If it is, a formal notice may be issued to the hedge owner setting out what they must do to the hedge to remedy the problem, and when they must do it by. If they don’t, they could face a fine of up to £1,000.

The national rules under which you can make a complaint are strict, and so we advise that you read the guidance provided.

Find out if a tree is protected by law

Please complete this form or contact us to enquire about a tree.

Apply for permission to work on a protected tree

Here is the application form and the guidance notes for completing it. Conditions may be attached to your proposed works.

Appeal a refused request

If we refuse your request we'll tell you how you can appeal to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government . If they allow your appeal they may vary our decision after appointing an independent expert to inspect the tree.

High Hedge Complaints

To make a High Hedge complaint, you can contact us here

We strongly advise that you refer to the national guidance first.

There is a charge of £200 or £500 for this service, depending on your ability to pay.