Private hire vehicle licences
If you want to use a vehicles to take private hire bookings through a licensed booking office it must be licensed by us.
A private hire licence is not needed for a vehicle:
- while it is being used in connection with a funeral or for a vehicle used wholly or mainly, by a funeral director, for funerals
- whilst it is being used wholly or mainly in connection with a wedding
There is no limit on the number of licences we may issue.
These licences are valid for one year.
Private hire prices are agreed between the customer and the business and are not set by us.
Only vehicles that meet the below criteria can be licensed. Never purchase a vehicle for this purpose until you are certain it can be licensed.
The vehicle shall be a saloon, estate or other passenger carrying motor vehicle (but not a purpose built Hackney Carriage) which according to the manufacturers specification has:
- Rear seat accommodation for at least 3 persons with a minimum seat width of 17 inches per person
- Separate front seats to accommodate one person in addition to the driver
- A minimum of four doors
- An engine rating of not less that 1250cc.
Applications for additional licences for Hackney Carriages will be granted only to approved new vehicles which meet the European “M1” safety standards and have facilities for carrying a disabled person in a wheelchair within the vehicle.
When licensed for the first time the vehicle must be less than 6 years old (72 months) from the date of first registration of the vehicle as new by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.
Vehicles more than 9 years old (108 months) from the date of first registration of the vehicle as new by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will not be licensed.
Application Evaluation Process
You must complete and return the application form together with the following supporting documentation, prior to the vehicle being inspected:
- Full vehicle registration document (V5) or ‘new keeper supplement’ or ‘confirmation of registration details’. A copy of the full vehicle registration document must be forwarded to the Licensing team as soon as possible. The registration document must be in the name of the applicant and show the correct address
- Insurance certificate. Private hire vehicles need to be insured for private hire (this is different to hackney carriage vehicles, which need to be insured for public hire)
- Valid MoT certificate
- The licence fee. Here are our fees and charges.
You will need to supply original documents - photocopies are not accepted.
All vehicles are inspected before a licence is issued in accordance with the National Inspection Standards developed by the Public Authority Transport Network (PATN).
After the licence is issued
The licence will be issued within 5 working days of being received by us.
The licence plate must be fixed externally to the rear of the vehicle and internally on the front windscreen (outside of the sweep zone). This specifies the number of passengers that can be carried.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the council must process the application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made by the customer with the driver.
You can also discuss the complaint with us.
Table of fares
Taxi fares for Hackney Carriages are set by the Council and calculated by a taximeter fitted in the vehicle. Hackney Carriages must be fitted with a taximeter, but it is optional for Private Hire vehicles. The taximeter displays the maximum charge payable for a journey, but drivers are free to charge less than the fee calculated by the taximeter.
Contact us here when you are ready to begin your application, or for more advice.