Hackney carriage vehicle licences
Licensed taxi drivers that want to be hailed in the street or ply for hire on any of our taxi ranks will need to have their vehicle licensed by us.
There is no limit on the number of licences we may issue.
Licences are valid for one year.
Prices for the use of taxis are set by us under the Hackney Carriage Tariff.
Only vehicles that meet the below criteria can be licensed. Never purchase a vehicle for this purpose until you are certain it can be licensed.
The vehicle shall be a purpose built Hackney Carriage or a saloon, estate or other passenger carrying motor vehicle approved by the council which has:
- Seating accommodation for a driver and at least 3 and no more than 8 persons with a minimum seat width of 16 inches per person
- FX 4 vehicle licensed for 2 persons to sit in rearward facing folding seats
- Separate front seats to accommodate one person in addition to the driver
- A minimum of four doors
- An engine rating of not less that 1250cc.
Applications for additional licences for Hackney Carriages will be granted only to approved new vehicles which meet the European “M1” safety standards and have facilities for carrying a disabled person in a wheelchair within the vehicle.
When licensed for the first time the vehicle must be less than 6 years old (72 months) from the date of first registration of the vehicle as new by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.
Vehicles more than 9 years old (108 months) from the date of first registration of the vehicle as new by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will not be licensed.
Application Evaluation Process
You must complete and return the application form together with the following supporting documentation, prior to the vehicle being inspected:
- Full vehicle registration document (V5) or ‘new keeper supplement’ or ‘confirmation of registration details’. A copy of the full vehicle registration document must be forwarded to the Licensing team as soon as possible. The registration document must be in the name of the applicant and show the correct address
- Insurance certificate. Hackney Carriage vehicles need to be insured for public hire (this is different to Private Hire vehicles, which need to be insured for private hire)
- Valid MoT certificate
- The licence fee. Here are our fees and charges.
You will need to supply original documents - photocopies are not accepted.
All vehicles are inspected before a licence is issued in accordance with the National Inspection Standards developed by the Public Authority Transport Network (PATN).
After the license is issued
The licence plate must be fixed externally to the rear of the vehicle and internally on the front windscreen (outside of the sweep zone). This specifies the number of passengers that can be carried.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the Council must process the application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made by the customer with the driver.
You can also discuss the complaint with us.
Table of fares
Taxi fares for Hackney Carriages are set by the Council and calculated by a taximeter fitted in the vehicle. Hackney Carriages must be fitted with a taximeter, but it is optional for Private Hire vehicles. The taximeter displays the maximum charge payable for a journey, but drivers are free to charge less than the fee calculated by the taximeter.
Contact us here when you are ready to begin your application, or for more advice.